You may have been recommended for dental implants, or have an injured, or cracked tooth, and are ready for a beautiful natural looking smile. Dental Implants provide a durable, and permanent solution to many of our patients at Elite Smiles. As with any procedure, there is care that is required at home to maintain the health of the implants, and keep them looking great for years.
The healing process for dental implants takes approximately four to six months, while the bone fuses to the new implant. This healing time varies per patient, and depends on the amount of implants, and if a bone graft was done to provide additional support.
Our office will discuss an at home care plan for our patients, so they can keep up with the health of their implants after the procedure. We want to make sure the surrounding tissue stays healthy with no signs of infection.
Recommended care guidelines for dental implants:
- Practice good oral hygiene with brushing and flossing each day taking good care to reach around all sides of the implant.
- Use a non-abrasive gel or paste while brushing your teeth. This will make sure any exposed surface of the implant is not scratched.
- Use a low abrasive tooth brush such as a soft tooth brush when brushing daily to remove any bacteria and plaque.
- Avoid any products containing stannous fluoride, sodium fluoride, baking soda, or stain removers. Using these products can damage the implant by removing the oxide layer, and exposing the implant, making it prone to corrosion.
- A Waterpik Water Flosser can be used to help reduce any gum inflammation surrounding the implant area. This may also help to reach the difficult areas.
- If you notice any inflammation around the implants, use a non-microbial rinse and call our office.
Caring for implants is similar to caring for natural teeth. With good oral hygiene implants will look and feel great for years. Ensuring you brush and floss after eating is essential to keeping the implants healthy and stable in the mouth.
Call or email Elite Smiles today to schedule your appointment, and discuss how dental implants can work for you.